Since moving out of my mother in law’s house where I lived with my soon to be ex-wife, one of the unexpected pleasures I have experienced is I can eat what I want, when I want and contrary to popular opinion that divorcees and bachelors live on junk food, ready meals and cheap beer, I’m starting to feel in my element in the kitchen.
For some men it is a woman’s place to do all cooking except the summer barbecues. Obviously as a modern guy I disagree profusely. Also, men who do not or will not cook are really missing out.
Here are my reasons why men who do not already do so should learn to cook and spend more time in the kitchen.
- Sense of achievement: Nothing builds pride and confidence better than success
- Enjoyment: It is fun! Why should the girls get all the pleasure?
- Problem solving: It is said that men are natural problem solvers. Things can and do go wrong in the kitchen. Put those male problem-solving skills to the test
- Creativity: The pride you will at creating something is another “man” thing, a bit like putting your child’s bicycle together. Also, tweeking a recipe to your personal taste and improving it does feel like you have created something of your own
- She will be impressed: The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. The same can be said of women. Whether a date or your partner, she will be impressed with your ability to put your forraging skills to the test
- Therapeutic: It calms the nerves and helps to take your mind off of other things
- Learning: Whether you are learning about nutrition, how to budget, making good use of leftovers or simply just learning a new skill, learning is a form of personal development that makes you a well-rounded character
Open to further suggestions here!